Y ou   A r e     L o v e d    B e y o n d    M e a s u r e !

Inpiring, encouraging, uplifting and empowering ALL who are receptive, one light at a time!

Forums & Blogs

Forum Home > Other Discussion > How does your identity affect your interactions?

FreeFaller[Dreamer]

This should be a fun one. Like me for example:

-My twists [my hair like in my default] are very clean and shiny, but they also look like dreads, so some people see me as clean, detailed and polished, whereas other people assume i'm a huge pothead right off the back v_v lol

-I have a strong eye-area, so i look unapproachable, or rude sometimes even though i'm very well mannered, even seen as sweet at times.

-I have good eye contact and a smile [when engaged with someone], so sometimes women and men think i'm attracted to them...no thanks lol.

-Whenever i shave, people still think i'm 19 years old, and still get carded out of suspicion lol i'm in my mid 20's [and don't get me wrong, plenty of people see me as..22 hahaha which is what i normally get]

-My sister and i apparently look very youthful and sweet, so i get a lot of elderly women that treat me like i'm a boy and clearly want to pinch my cheeks...lol i mean it. People refer to my sis as 'adorable' lol when she's pure evil!! jk 

What about you guys?

--

January 18, 2018 at 4:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

AstralBooBaby
Site Owner

This is a good one... Right off of the top of my head, I can think of three such cases... 

1.  When I meet people for the first time, I am usually very reserved, while I am in my observational mode but this is often interpreted as me being 'stuck up' or act 'too goody-good' (I am nor have ever been either) and because of this, I have found myself having to push myself to be a little more outgoing and engaging. 

2.  I have never really put limitations on how I dress; my thought process or how I style my hair and because of this (especially where I grew up), people would always interpret these actions as me promoting or glorifying homosexuality. Free spirits and artists are always misunderstood and because of this - we are put in positions where we are forced to put up a wall as a coping mechanism but this form of self preservation will be further interpreted and labeled as one who is 'weird', 'elusive' or 'stuck up' (go figure).

3.  I too am very family oriented and my sister and I are and have always been very close and we've had people who  hate on our closeness... We both find ourselves having to steer clear of those who are smiling in our faces but talking negatively about our close bond behind our backs -- this response has put both of us in the same category of 'being too cute' or 'too good' to come around 'common folk' (their words). 

This is but 3 of one who has lived a life of being constantly misunderstood. 

--

“Keep it growing and flowing”

January 18, 2018 at 6:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Randus Phillips (Randy)

@Astralboobaby I feel where you're coming from as far as being free spirited misunderstood.

I was growing up my peers avoided me because they thought that I was 'weird'. I wasn't seen as 'manly' enough because I never gave into peer pressure and followed the 'in crowd' with their rough contact sports and parasitic behavior. But my elders who actually took the time out to get to know me said that I was a 'sweet heart' and to keep on doing me by staying in my lane doing what I know and feel is right. And during my mid teens I was always perceived as being 5 or 6 years younger than I actually was and I'm still am due to my baby face. My elders perceived me as very manner able, respectful and an earth angel, the best thing since the slice of bread.

During my 20's those hyper-masculine and hyper-sexual guys thought that I was a 'player' and thought that I was a 'ladies man' and was very popular and they thought that I had a whole lot of friends. They assumed that I was a 'party goer' and a 'club' type of person that smokes weed and drank alcoholic beverages. But I was called a “goodie two shoes” once I revealed all of the 'constructive' things that I was doing with my life before my genetic disorder landed me in a wheelchair indefinitely at the age of 23. But they assumed that I got shot.

And on a positive note the very few people who's hearts that I have won by standing my ground and being authentic. After very careful thought they have won my hearts as well. But have stated that I seemed “cool, loyal, friendly, very intelligent, brotherly-like, very kind hearted, fun to be around, a loner, shy and a diamond in the rough” < This is still only the tip of the “iceberg” regarding the real me. But it was these qualities that had drawn those people to me and why I've been friends with them over the past 11 – 15 years.

I love it when people try to figure me out, the mundane folks will never even come close to figuring out the 'real me.'

--

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds." - Albert Einstein

January 18, 2018 at 10:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

AstralBooBaby
Site Owner

Randus Phillips (Randy) at January 18, 2018 at 10:30 PM

@Astralboobaby I feel where you're coming from as far as being free spirited misunderstood.

I was growing up my peers avoided me because they thought that I was 'weird'. I wasn't seen as 'manly' enough because I never gave into peer pressure and followed the 'in crowd' with their rough contact sports and parasitic behavior. But my elders who actually took the time out to get to know me said that I was a 'sweet heart' and to keep on doing me by staying in my lane doing what I know and feel is right. And during my mid teens I was always perceived as being 5 or 6 years younger than I actually was and I'm still am due to my baby face. My elders perceived me as very manner able, respectful and an earth angel, the best thing since the slice of bread.

During my 20's those hyper-masculine and hyper-sexual guys thought that I was a 'player' and thought that I was a 'ladies man' and was very popular and they thought that I had a whole lot of friends. They assumed that I was a 'party goer' and a 'club' type of person that smokes weed and drank alcoholic beverages. But I was called a “goodie two shoes” once I revealed all of the 'constructive' things that I was doing with my life before my genetic disorder landed me in a wheelchair indefinitely at the age of 23. But they assumed that I got shot.

And on a positive note the very few people who's hearts that I have won by standing my ground and being authentic. After very careful thought they have won my hearts as well. But have stated that I seemed “cool, loyal, friendly, very intelligent, brotherly-like, very kind hearted, fun to be around, a loner, shy and a diamond in the rough” < This is still only the tip of the “iceberg” regarding the real me. But it was these qualities that had drawn those people to me and why I've been friends with them over the past 11 – 15 years.

I love it when people try to figure me out, the mundane folks will never even come close to figuring out the 'real me.'

Coming from a culture that really favors exaggerated masculinity and rrigid patriarchial roles - we have dealt with similarities across the board but hey, everyone who knew me than and knows me know will attest that although I might have tried to understand the sensitivities of others, I still never opted to bend and suppress my authenticity for cultural or social acceptance. I do realize that most are not as ballsy, lol. 

--

January 19, 2018 at 2:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

AstralBooBaby
Site Owner

FreeFaller[Dreamer] at January 18, 2018 at 4:12 PM

This should be a fun one. Like me for example:

-My twists [my hair like in my default] are very clean and shiny, but they also look like dreads, so some people see me as clean, detailed and polished, whereas other people assume i'm a huge pothead right off the back v_v lol

-I have a strong eye-area, so i look unapproachable, or rude sometimes even though i'm very well mannered, even seen as sweet at times.

-I have good eye contact and a smile [when engaged with someone], so sometimes women and men think i'm attracted to them...no thanks lol.

-Whenever i shave, people still think i'm 19 years old, and still get carded out of suspicion lol i'm in my mid 20's [and don't get me wrong, plenty of people see me as..22 hahaha which is what i normally get]

-My sister and i apparently look very youthful and sweet, so i get a lot of elderly women that treat me like i'm a boy and clearly want to pinch my cheeks...lol i mean it. People refer to my sis as 'adorable' lol when she's pure evil!! jk 

What about you guys?

Btw, great topic and share! Thanks! :)

--

January 19, 2018 at 2:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Andrew Eblen

Well for me many people automatically assume I'm a hippie just for having long hair. I happen to be into nature and have long hair and I like the Beatles but I never really considered myself a hippie personally. 

I like to look and dress nice. I often wear suites or at least a decent polo shirt or khakis. Many people assume I'm some type of elitist snob who finds themself to be superior to others just because I act more refined then most. It's simply how I am and I don't judge others for having a different style. 

I can go between not talking very often to talking non stop. I'm not sure why that is. Sometimes I feel the need to initiate a prolonged conversation with many words and ideas being exchanged and other times I simply feel like listenting and discovering what other parties have to say. When I'm too quiet people often assume I'm depressed and when I talk just a little too much people assume I'm arrogent. 

I don't really buy into collectivism personally. I self identify as an individualist with a Libertarian worldview so I believe in treating everyone on equal footing and trying to see what everyone has to say. Ironically I've had many people say I was their enemy simply because I wasn't agreeing with them. I've had some white people accuse me of "betraying my race" and I've had some blacks call me a white supremacist for some odd reason. I'm all about treating everyone equally and I don't play favorites based on ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, ect... Still some people think I dislike them simply because I don't favour them above everyone else. 

January 19, 2018 at 9:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

FreeFaller[Dreamer]

@astralboo, good to hear c: i had trouble with the original post though lol. Our experiences seem to hold parallels. Thank you on the note of "free spirits". My confidence and 0 will to enact on others' opinions certainly attracts more like-minded people into my realm(this site for example), in which needs to be revered amidst this social-ocean of collective opinion, or consensus-reality.

@andrew, I hear ya. I do like nature, dream journal, and meditate, and this hair falls under that stereotype. 

I tend to wear a lot of button-ups, some of which i tuck in. Most of the time my hair is out of my face. My grandparents are very military. My grandma teaches etiquette lessons. Some people think i think i'm this high-class "better" snob, but again..my sister and i are just as positive and bright as we are well-mannered. We care for simple things in the world, really. 

@randus, right on dude same here. I don't feel social pressures like most do. Again, some do admire me for it, where little do they know the world i'm looking at. Are you confident because you 'fit in' and thus can relax? or are you confident in what you do regardless of what others have to say or think? what are we confiding in? the system? or self?

--

January 21, 2018 at 12:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Zena Faye

I am light skin with light brown and blue eyes and people have assumed that I am biracial. People think that I 'act hood' or 'black' but that's just who I am. Not trying to seem any more black than what I already am. I am just an ordinary loving person.

--

Hiyah! 

January 21, 2018 at 4:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Zena Faye

People stil haven't learned to not judge a book by it's cover. On the otherhand, people will accept a book by what's on the cover, although the writing on the pages ain't hitting lol

--

Hiyah! 

January 21, 2018 at 4:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Andrew Eblen

Zena Faye at January 21, 2018 at 4:13 PM

I am light skin with light brown and blue eyes and people have assumed that I am biracial. People think that I 'act hood' or 'black' but that's just who I am. Not trying to seem any more black than what I already am. I am just an ordinary loving person.

I spoke with you brother once and he said you guys had some trace European and Native heritage but maybe I'm mistaken. To be fair I think most of us are multi ethnic to some extent in my humble opinion. I myself am of European (largely British, Irish, Scottish, and German) and Native American (Cherokee and some other tribes). People often think that I am hispanic  due to my olive coloured skin, dark brown eyes, and brown hair. In a way it would make sense that people think that. Many Hispanics are a micture of European and Native American so I can honestly see why people would think that. I really didn't think about it until more recently but I've noticed I am quite dark skinned compared to most white Americans. Even ABB said he noticed that as well. Personally I like identifying as multi ethnic. I feel like identifying with only part of my heritage is some how ignoring other parts of me. I love my heritage and origin because it's unique and it makes me who I am. Still I only see my ethnicity as a small portion of my identity. 

January 21, 2018 at 11:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Zena Faye

Andrew Eblen at January 21, 2018 at 11:21 PM

I spoke with you brother once and he said you guys had some trace European and Native heritage but maybe I'm mistaken. To be fair I think most of us are multi ethnic to some extent in my humble opinion. I myself am of European (largely British, Irish, Scottish, and German) and Native American (Cherokee and some other tribes). People often think that I am hispanic  due to my olive coloured skin, dark brown eyes, and brown hair. In a way it would make sense that people think that. Many Hispanics are a micture of European and Native American so I can honestly see why people would think that. I really didn't think about it until more recently but I've noticed I am quite dark skinned compared to most white Americans. Even ABB said he noticed that as well. Personally I like identifying as multi ethnic. I feel like identifying with only part of my heritage is some how ignoring other parts of me. I love my heritage and origin because it's unique and it makes me who I am. Still I only see my ethnicity as a small portion of my identity. 

Most of us are multi ethnic but what I am saying is that people thought one parent was black and the other was white and that's not the case. Both of my parents are African American, (one very dark skin and the other is pecan brown but I came out very light). There's some other things in our bloodline. For example, our great grandmother was Red foot Indian and my father's great grandmother was Chinese. The European mixture goes back a few generations. 

--

Hiyah! 

January 21, 2018 at 11:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Zena Faye

FreeFaller[Dreamer] at January 21, 2018 at 12:08 PM

@astralboo, good to hear c: i had trouble with the original post though lol. Our experiences seem to hold parallels. Thank you on the note of "free spirits". My confidence and 0 will to enact on others' opinions certainly attracts more like-minded people into my realm(this site for example), in which needs to be revered amidst this social-ocean of collective opinion, or consensus-reality.

@andrew, I hear ya. I do like nature, dream journal, and meditate, and this hair falls under that stereotype. 

I tend to wear a lot of button-ups, some of which i tuck in. Most of the time my hair is out of my face. My grandparents are very military. My grandma teaches etiquette lessons. Some people think i think i'm this high-class "better" snob, but again..my sister and i are just as positive and bright as we are well-mannered. We care for simple things in the world, really. 

@randus, right on dude same here. I don't feel social pressures like most do. Again, some do admire me for it, where little do they know the world i'm looking at. Are you confident because you 'fit in' and thus can relax? or are you confident in what you do regardless of what others have to say or think? what are we confiding in? the system? or self?

Hey sweety! If you had a problem posting in the thread. Try typing what you want to do in Word and then copy and paste it here just in case there's some kind of issue. 

--

Hiyah! 

January 22, 2018 at 12:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Andrew Eblen

Zena Faye at January 21, 2018 at 11:56 PM

Most of us are multi ethnic but what I am saying is that people thought one parent was black and the other was white and that's not the case. Both of my parents are African American, (one very dark skin and the other is pecan brown but I came out very light). There's some other things in our bloodline. For example, our great grandmother was Red foot Indian and my father's great grandmother was Chinese. The European mixture goes back a few generations. 

I understand now thanks for clarifying. I actually happen to have some trace asian ancestry myself. Through my mother I am part Yakut. The Yakuts are a Turkic tribe from Siberia. They actually are very similar to native americans. 

January 22, 2018 at 9:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

FreeFaller[Dreamer]

I know someone who is Venezuelan and Cicilian. Growing up in the southwest of the U.S. many thought he was hispanic, where as many latinos could tell he had European blood in him as well. He too has olive skin, and very curly soil-brown hair. 

and understood, I'm actually mixed with Black, Filipino, and Hawaiin. I have such a small amount of Native American that is hardly ever mentioned since i don't want to get lectured by most lol.

Funny enough (being mixed with Hawaiin) and i did my research and found that Polynesians and Native Americans are direct descendants of Asians (both of which i figured, i just wanted to research and clarify). This many of us knew from the Bering Sea Strait in the Northeast of Asia (which is where you mentioning Takuts comes into play). Which also might explain why some native North, Central, and South Americans may occasionally display "asiatic" features. 

--

January 22, 2018 at 9:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

FreeFaller[Dreamer]

Zena Faye at January 22, 2018 at 12:03 AM

FreeFaller[Dreamer] at January 21, 2018 at 12:08 PM

Hey sweety! If you had a problem posting in the thread. Try typing what you want to do in Word and then copy and paste it here just in case there's some kind of issue. 

oh good idea. i've been here for a minute and never thought to do that lol thanks :)

--

January 22, 2018 at 9:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Randus Phillips (Randy)

@FreeFaller     I'm confident that I have the very few friends that I have that love me unconditionally. I had never 'fit in' with society, I have less than 5 friends. I always looked for friendships that has a 'heart to heart' and a 'soul to soul' connection as well as a person having good character and personality. I'm confident in what I am doing now with my spiritual path and I confide in 'the self' (my higher self).

--

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds." - Albert Einstein

January 24, 2018 at 10:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Andrew Eblen

FreeFaller[Dreamer] at January 22, 2018 at 9:29 PM

I know someone who is Venezuelan and Cicilian. Growing up in the southwest of the U.S. many thought he was hispanic, where as many latinos could tell he had European blood in him as well. He too has olive skin, and very curly soil-brown hair. 

and understood, I'm actually mixed with Black, Filipino, and Hawaiin. I have such a small amount of Native American that is hardly ever mentioned since i don't want to get lectured by most lol.

Funny enough (being mixed with Hawaiin) and i did my research and found that Polynesians and Native Americans are direct descendants of Asians (both of which i figured, i just wanted to research and clarify). This many of us knew from the Bering Sea Strait in the Northeast of Asia (which is where you mentioning Takuts comes into play). Which also might explain why some native North, Central, and South Americans may occasionally display "asiatic" features. 

I misspelled Yakut my bad. Here is some information on them. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakuts

Here is a video about them as well. I know it's a bit off topic but it is interesting. 

https://youtu.be/uiLVJsZvAmQ

January 29, 2018 at 7:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Zena Faye

Andrew Eblen at January 22, 2018 at 9:14 AM

Zena Faye at January 21, 2018 at 11:56 PM

I understand now thanks for clarifying. I actually happen to have some trace asian ancestry myself. Through my mother I am part Yakut. The Yakuts are a Turkic tribe from Siberia. They actually are very similar to native americans. 

You are welcome sweety. 

--

Hiyah! 

January 31, 2018 at 9:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

FreeFaller[Dreamer]

Randus Phillips (Randy) at January 24, 2018 at 10:26 AM

@FreeFaller     I'm confident that I have the very few friends that I have that love me unconditionally. I had never 'fit in' with society, I have less than 5 friends. I always looked for friendships that has a 'heart to heart' and a 'soul to soul' connection as well as a person having good character and personality. I'm confident in what I am doing now with my spiritual path and I confide in 'the self' (my higher self).

right on, i think it has rendered me on a lonely path for now, but i don't see myself floating away in the main current of society without reflecting on myself first. I've always been the lone wolf looking for his pack. I seek the deep intimate heart to heart connections, but i feel like the audience for me is smaller by virtue of mother nature and my own personal nature which is fine by we. 

--

February 2, 2018 at 3:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Randus Phillips (Randy)

FreeFaller[Dreamer] at February 2, 2018 at 3:19 AM

Randus Phillips (Randy) at January 24, 2018 at 10:26 AM

right on, i think it has rendered me on a lonely path for now, but i don't see myself floating away in the main current of society without reflecting on myself first. I've always been the lone wolf looking for his pack. I seek the deep intimate heart to heart connections, but i feel like the audience for me is smaller by virtue of mother nature and my own personal nature which is fine by we. 

To tell you the truth I'm a lone wolf as well, even though I have two friends that I'm very close with but I still feel "lonely". I hope to find somebody who's the perfect match with my soul's frequency. So I understand.

--

February 3, 2018 at 1:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.